Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I'm Boring

Well I don't actually think that about myself, but I have shifted into low gear lately.

Maybe its the heat or something, but my ambitious Spring has been exchanged for a Summer of experimenting with new liquor that I've never tried and video games.

What a way to fill the last month (weeks) of my 20's

Here's something I was thinking about while not being boring:

I have been thinking about gender lately and how hard it is to seperate the way that I think about certain roles from gender.

The noun 'Preacher' came up this weekend when I realized that I had a lot of negative baggage associate with this word.

My wife was able to define the term in a gender neutral way; ascribing certain qualities to someone who was a preacher regardless of gender. This might not seem like a big deal, but it was revelatory for me to think of a preacher in a positive light disassociated with gender.

There was more thinking about gender after we watched the movie "I Heart Huckabees" for the first time. The characters portrayed by Schwartzman and Whalberg are what I would consider stereotypical intellectual males. I might be reaching a bit, but we all know someone who kind of over-analyzes things and slightly annoys everyone around them.

My thinking here is that this person is usually male, and I haven't seen many female depictions in fiction - or encountered many in real life for that matter.

This sort of led me to a realization that men and women seem to think about different things. I know DUH.

But when talking about gender barriers and equal opportunity, I think it is important to recognize that the sexes still seperate themselves by what they choose to explore.

Could be a product of environment - Dunno

Comments:
Yes. You have no hope with the homorones you are exposed to. No really... I believe women have a sense that men don't. Preachers or "women leaders" I think women have a much calmer more self comfident way about them...and I'm not just saying that because I am one.
 
Hey. Heidi here. I have no idea how blogger identified my husband as me, but it did. I was the one that left that last commment....damn computers.!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?