Wednesday, October 10, 2007

More Australia


We traveled from Sydney to the middle of the Australian continent and a place known to Europeans as Ayer's Rock. Its been given back to the native people of the region and then rented out from them as a national park where two sandstone rock formations protrude like great stone memorials to a time on earth that was probably pre-plant life.

The most famous rock is called Uluru while its neighboring friend is Kata Tjuta which is pictured here. Its actually several different rocks that have been exposed after - well - a really long time.

The rocks are sacred places to the local aboriginies and some parts are off limits. For anyone searching for a modern reference point on these, you may have heard of them because of the infamous "The Dingo Ate My Baby" stories. That family was camping next to Uluru when their baby went missing.

Comments:
Is this where my rock came from? I can't remember now. I think maybe it came from a different place. But in case you guys wondered, that one is my very favorite rock. So thanks!
 
Um . . . What rock? We didn't bring any rocks back illegally from Australia, but if we had, this would have been the place to get one.
 
Oh yeah. I forgot. I must have been thinking about some OTHER rock. That you guys brought me from, uh, Houston. I LOVE my Houston rock! It's the best!
 
Did you make it to the top?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?