Thursday, January 10, 2008

Nintendo Power

I had the original Nintendo Entertainment System back in '87. I was never a huge Mario fan, but there were some classics that kept me in front of my Nintendo for hours. I still got a lot of play time out of my Commodore 64 as well.

I played both of these machines and acquired no others until about 1996 when I got the original Playstation. I was in college and I was actually turned on to it by my brother. I still played a lot of RBI baseball for the NES in those college days, but I've been on a Playstation kick ever since.

Anyway, the 10 year gap (87-97) between current gaming systems seems ridiculous now when we are expected to get something new every Christmas. Somehow this consumerism was not engraved on me during my high school years when I was content to play old games, watch old TV re-runs after the local news and be social -I guess thats what I did {scratches head}

As a result I missed out on just about everything that Nintendo did between about 1991 and 2006 when I got a DS (I also got a Gameboy Advance). Now with the Wii I can play Wii and Gamecube games and with DS/GBA, I can play the entire history of Gameboy games. I've jumped on this opportunity to go a little game buying crazy. I've re-encountered my love for Zelda and added a ton of games, in which the fabled princess appears, to my amazon wish list.

Here is a neat button to my wish list. Be sure to sort by priority if you go. Of course I don't expect you to buy anything; just enjoy my geeky-ness with me.

My Amazon.com Wish List

There is a felt need to re-discover and play these games some of which are very old and have gone out of techno-fashion. I missed out on my chance to love them when they were new and now I want to show them the respect they deserve.

I probably won't even play through 50% of the ones I buy all the way, but such is the way of the gamer these days which is a topic for another blog.

Comments:
I can't believe you never got a Super NES or Sega. I received a NES in 1987, followed by a Super NES in tandem with a Sega. I will admit I continued to play my NES after getting those two. Once PS1 hit the market I was sold and neglected everything before it. When the PS2 came out I had a geeky roommate that quickly bought it. About a year and a half later he sold it to me for $150 to cover his lack of rent. Now that the PS3 is out I don't have a strong desire to upgrade. My PS2 keeps me quite happy. I will say if I buy a new system I believe I will get a Wii, but odds are that won't be until sometime in 2009.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?