Monday, July 13, 2009

Goodbye Adam

I just wanted to say goodbye to an old work friend of mine named Adam Lokey. I don't have any kind of canned way to deal with his death, instead its this kind of thing that makes me question well intentioned lessons about "God's Plan for Our Lives," but Adam probably wouldn't want me to dwell on that.

I can't say that I knew Adam very well but we were amoung a group of 'young-lings' at my previous job, and we frenquently shared common observations of work and life and love etc.

I remember that just when I thought my job couldn't get any more boring, Adam showed me what he knew about color. We were looking at something specific for work and he broke down the color variation in a way that really made me see him as an artist. I was impressed.

Adam once made me a surprise mix CD of Wes Andersen movie music which I listened to all the time in the years we worked together. I loved it and had never even considered listening to that music before he shared it with me. I was impressed.

Adam played indoor soccer with a group of guys one year from work (and his and my past). It was then that I understood his illness and how it impacted every segment of his life. He dealt with it like a nobleman bearing his burden for the realm -Nobless Oblige. I was impressed and humbled as any minor health complaint of mine paled in comparison to what he dealt with.

Goodbye Adam, you changed me and I was lucky to have known you.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?