Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Part 2 -Staycation 2010 (aka the 2nd annual video game-a-thon)

So I want to lead off part 2 of this by simply addressing what and why it is that I seem to enjoy video games so much. A lot of people think that to play current gen video games you have to have a long history of playing and enjoying video games. I fit into this category as I've been playing video games for quite some time, and I think that past experience certainly helps explain why it is that I like to play games, but really, games have changed so much over the past 30+ years that playing games from 1979 doesn't really help you enjoy games from 2009.

Most people have had some positive experience with a video game in their life. Maybe they liked PacMan, or Tetris, or Mario, or Bejewelled. These games are easy to like because they are relatively simple and do the most important thing a game can do which is stimulate AND reward multiple sensory inputs at once.

I think games are addictive because they stimulate so many parts of your brain at one time. Sight, Sound, Reaction, Manipulation, Intensification, and Analysis. I think if you think about a game you really liked, it probably stimulated all of these things and you can probably think of more or better ways to describe the way you felt. There was also a very obvious reward for you as you used these 'senses' the way the game wanted you to. Sometimes the reward is as simple as an explosive sound and other times its getting to take a short break before the next level starts. In any case you were making progress and it was fun.

If you were used to playing games from 1979 you will remember that they were mostly based on Sight, Sound, and Reaction. Games have gradually added more elements that require advanced hand eye dexterity and problem solving analysis along with cinematic style storytelling that can even illicit intense emotion. This actually has the effect of delaying your reward. Instead of just eating pellets, you have to learn how to make your character go fishing so you can finish the first chapter of the story. If the actual task you are supposed to learn is too complicated it feels like work and you quit before you get your reward.

I'll say that there is a point in pretty much every game when I feel like this, and thats where my long experience with games kicks in and I do some natural things to analyze what I'm doing in the game to try and make things easier for myself. If you don't have this experience (and are actually interested) here is what I do:

Think about the game as a finite set of rules. The solution to whatever problem I have fits into a small set of things that are possible. What was the last addition to the ruleset before I had this problem? Is there a way that it changes the game in some way I haven't considered yet?

Try everything, but don't try the same thing. Most of the time the solution to my problem isn't more repetitions, but something I haven't tried yet. Trying the same thing too many times in a row is boring and leads to f-bombs and other exclamations.

When you get stuck, use www.gamefaqs.com to find walkthroughs and solutions to your problems. Games are very long now, and there will be lots of challenges for you beyond the one that has you stuck. Using a walkthrough instead of losing your marbles is acceptable.

Moving on through my list . . .

Zak and Wiki Barbaro's Treasure - this game is actually called: Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure. Despite its wordy title (lovingly referred to as Zip & Faggy) this is an excellent puzzle solving game hidden in a Japanese style cartoon. The action in the game is point and click style. It reminds me of old PC point and click adventure games like Space Quest, Day of the Tentacle, or Sam & Max. However, rather than making you combine ridiculous items to magically open a sealed door, this one seems a bit more creative with its puzzle solving. "I have to pour the lava in the pit to burn the pole before I dump the water to get the treasure." The beauty of the game is that you just use the Wiimote to point and click your way through these puzzles. Occasionally they make you do some Wiimote push or pull or flick that ends up being mostly amusing and occasionally irritating.

No More Heroes - Hmmm . . . Its hard to explain this game. The best part of this game is the extremely entertaining storytelling style. Its a rare combination of a Japanese produced product that has successfully formatted itself for a North American audience. The main character is essentially a douchbag, 20 something who has a lightsaber and wants to become the #1 contract killer in the country. To do this he has to slice his way through killers 10-1 using the Wiimote buttons to unleash sword attacks and the motion controls to do 'wrestling' moves. Its got an open world feel to it like a Grand Theft Auto game, but the story is complete candy that somehow does not get old. Hilarious one liners, creative use of (a lot of) profanity, and incredible sword mutilations have kept me glued and laughing most of the way through this one. I think they took some big risks 'stylizing' this and in my opinion it totally works. I get it.

Ok well thats all I have time for today. I guess I'll finish up in Part 3

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?