Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Some Thoughts; Return Day 5

I'm adjusting back to my life and learning to care about things like the amount of half/half in my coffee again. That seems relatively important compared to some of the work things that I need to focus on.

I had several episodes when I woke up in the middle of the night and had no idea where I was. It lasted longer than normal and I even started to get up and try to find a perscription drug for someone. Then I realized my dog was just barking at my own garage door and we both went back to sleep. The size of my house in that moment just after waking seemed enormous . . . .

I keep thinking about individual patients. There was one guy we saw who'd had a skin graft on his leg that was healing ok in parts and not so ok in others. He seemed really more dirty than everyone else and was probably the only person who acted like he had absolutely no idea what I was saying when I spoke French to him. One of the providers on our trip, Lisa, had to pick at some dead tissue for him with tweezers and Joellen attempted to wash his foot for him. The area above the bandage was swollen strangely, so I don't know really what the problem was. We bandaged him up and told him to come back, but I didn't seem him again. I wonder if he'll lose his leg at some point.

I've been grasping at trying to figure out what I'll do next to help these people. I've made some contacts with those in Haiti, but nothing specific has materialized. I've even asked some of my friends who are also providers if they could tag along on another trip - we'll see. I know that I can probably help provide the school with needed (legal) copies of software, so stay in touch with me if you want to be involved in that. It will probably be something like $30 to provide a copy of Windows or office.

I still haven't organized my thoughts about some of the things I've learned regarding the culture of aid that exists in Haiti. For those interested, I'm reading this book: http://tinyurl.com/y4lswqf. Its self published which means its either all true or all a 'load,' but its been very informative regarding the impact of food aide on Haiti and the US Govt's involvement in the history of that country.

Comments:
It’s very easy to find out any topic on net as compared to books, as I found this post at this site.

------------------------------
franchise for exports | cattle exports | livestock exports
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?